players of distinction - 1963-2013
as announced at BBFC's 50th celebration at the Park Hotel on 31/8/2013
Criteria used to select the 16 players were that they played with distinction for many years, showed outstanding skill or leadership. They contributed to great moments in our history and or our success. They are remembered for the quantity and quality of their goal tallies for the club or have commanded the midfield or controlled the defence.
Players have been nominated by current or previous club members.
It's always difficult to select players across different periods and the selection panel of the current Club President Richard Ray and two Life Members Kenny Baynes and Stuart Caruth and some valuable input from Paul Johnstone discussed this at great length.
Selecting players is based on nominations (the request for nominations was widely published and was on our web site for months) and information provided. Some distinguished player may be left off because we didn’t have the information on their playing career. This is not a team with positions but a team of distinguished players. We received over 40 nominations and intended to select 15 but it got too hard so we ended up with 16.
- Paul Johnstone Paul Captained the 1978 reformed Rams to a Premiership in their first year with a 6-2 win over Mullum and was awarded best player of the match in that final. He also Captain coached the prems and later player over 35s. He is a great Leader.
- Mark Donnelly 1970 Byron Bay Youth Soccer Club U8 Penguins. 7 times Summerland Soccer Federation Representative.1973 member of first ever undefeated Premiers and Grand Final Winners,1974 1st Senior Men's game for Byron Bay. aged 12.1977 U15 State Title Finalist with Northern NSW, gaining selection into the National team
- Ron Beams Awarded best goal 1978 Grand final an imposing player, big, hard runner, always had opposition keeper looking for him. Two g/f as player and 1 as coach.
- Allan Fraser Junior to Prems Last played 2002 .
- Tony Duncombe Came to us as a senior was the man with the silky skills for the bay, played 4x league in Brisbane, captain coached the rams) As one nomination said Best player in the middle of the park Byron has ever had
- Sterling Collier 1990s goalkeeper since juniors to seniors, senior goalkeeper, signed by Brisbane strikers national league team, played in state and northern branch teams from 13-16yrs
- Tony Wilson Striker ,played with club, captain coach of club, played for Sydney City , Newcastle State league,
- Chloe Dunsmore Played U6 to seniors with Byron Bay. Grand final winner twice and runners up seniors, north coast dev. State u 14.NSW x2, U18 state player and North Coast Academy
- Alison Green First women’s team and picked 6 times for the NSW state team
- Todd Knaus Played with Bay from 1989 played all juniors with Bay, played for country state team, toured New Zealand with state squad, in northern branch rep team from 13-16s, in North Coast Academy squad for 4 years, played seniors from 17 yrs of age (less 3 yrs due to retirement, injuries. Was picked in Triple Z Team of the Year.
- John Bradbury Represented AUS at U17 level and went on to play for Newcastle United Youth Team (NSL Days) He is now in Norway playing and coaching. 2006 and 2005 Grand final winner
- Jed Wright An Australian School boy, FFNC presentative, played in Qld Premier league .Played from U15 to Prems
- Shaun Packham Played all his football with the rams from U6 to Prems, scored goal in premiership win, Captain of Prems in 2005 GF. North Coast team of the year including 2013
- Aaron Riechter Steers Junior FFNC rep player, Player of match Grand final 2001, FFNC Team of the year twice and player of the year 2006, twice Premiership player
- Mark Sheppard Captain Coach of the over 35s Premiers twice scoring in both grand finals, Reserves Captain Coach, Played Prems at 45 years of age and was an U18 Olyeroo
- Bruce Morhaus Junior FFNC representative from age 9 and Northern NSW representative from age 13 up until 17. Senior representative for FFNC playing against teams such as the Fijian National Team, Brisbane Strikers, and QLD Roar. Won a Minor and Major Premier division title with South Lismore at age 17. Now 13 full season with the Rams and won 1 Super Sevens, 2 Tursa Cups, 3 Anzac Cups, 1 Minor Premiership, and 2 Major Premierships. Scored 1 goal and was awarded Man of the Match in 2006 Grand Final win, Picked in the Premier Division Team of the Year twice
- K Connel Goalkeeper,Twice Premiership player,coached goal keepers)
- Stuart Carruth (1978 player Ferocious defender /played over 35 )
- Jonathan Pierce (was FFNC rep player from 10's to 16's then at 16 he was FFNC Junior Player of the Year then became a Rep coach then FFNC ZZZ team of the year player and FFNC senior rep team the former played Holiday Coast and he was Man of the Match the latter played Qld Roar at Oakes Oval where he had to mark Matt Mckay who now plays for Australia.
- Chris Cranmer Premier GF 2005 played 2004 -7
- Des Clark 1978-1984 Midfield. Could run all day, great ball skills and a wicked left foot shot. Also good in the air. At least 3 g/finals.
- Sam Robinson Junior from 2000 and Rep Player Prems at 16 2012 (FFNC team of the year)
- Ian Lennie 2007 - 2013
- Joel Bradford 2000 – 2009
- Tom Ruhl Started in U6 1990’s - 2013 Premiership player
- Nathan Jones 1990’s - 2004
- Craig Hutchinson
- James Packham
- Paul Clark Including coaching juniors, had 33 seasons with the club. I moved to play for Bangalow in 1984 for 4 seasons merely to play Prem division as Byron were playing in one division below. made the Richmond Tweed Rep side U13’s and played in the State Finals at Wallsend Newcastle in 1979 finished Runners up to Newcastle. Coming from Byron a beach town, it was quite difficult to make Rep sides. Best and Fairest trophies dated 1974 (u8’s) and 1976 (u10’)
- Al Murray solid centre back come midfielder. Didnt take a backward step, very reliable goals from long distance. 3 g/finals.
- Kenny Baynes 3 grand finals
- James Herberstson Goal keeper 1995
- Jens Waters
- Don Robinson very quick solid build made to go through if not around. Good marksmanship with powerful shot. Career cut short by broken leg and ensuing complications. 2 g/finals.
- Chris Kelly
- Jordie Campbell Golden boot FFNC on two occasions
- Eden Robinson
- Wayne Proctor
- Evan copper
- Andy Miller Top scorer in 1978. Played in at least 3 grand finals. A powerful shot with a nose for goal, every coaches dream striker.
- Mark Stewart (Mono) bought to the team the enthusiasm and motivation to get us into a g/f, a minor premiership and semi finals each other year he coached. Added to that he screen printed all our soccer kit, some of which you can still see to this day.