Goal Fest at the Bay

[singlepic id=193 w=500 float=none]

Tommy Ruhl midair

[singlepic id=285 float=right]Tugun FC was the latest club to feel the wrath of the Byron Bay Rams Premier League squad at home last Sunday. Tugun plays in the fiercely competitive Gold Coast 1st division. New Rams coach John Sowter has been testing player combinations in a series of trial gams in the lead up to the FFNC Anzac Cup competition. It didn’t take long before Tommy Ruhl and Jordy Campbell entertained and took pot shots on the Tugun goal in quick succession. At the 15-minute mark Campbell tore up the Tugun defences again and flicked a pass to Bruce Morhaus to score and take an early lead.

10 minutes later Rams keeper Layton Barton cleared a huge kick and found Campbell and passed a high ball to Ruhl. He took a touch and skilfully flicked it over his head deceiving a defender and struck it with his left foot past the keeper 2-0.

Soon after, a Tugun defender brought Korhan Ozakman down just outside the penalty box. From the free kick Ian Lennie sent a cracking header onto the crossbar. The Rams were outclassing Tugun all across the park and in a brilliant end to end display at the 35 minute mark Campbell drove up through the middle and sent a pass out wide to Yantra Whitling. He crossed in front of goal with Ruhl and Campbell waiting. Campbell headed the pass well passed the keeper taking the score to 3-0.

Ten minutes later Whitling controlled a clearance kick from Barton 30 metres from the Tugun goal. He turned around a defender, dribbled a short distance and sent an unstoppable strike into the net 4-0. In the final few minutes of the half some there was some sloppy, complacent defence in the Rams goalmouth. Barton couldn’t clear the ball and it allowed Tugun’s Joel Patterson to shoot and score 4-1.

There was a definite change of pace in the 2nd half and the Rams allowed Tugun back into the game and test the Rams defence. However Morhaus and Lennie had it covered. Ryan Gray, Cory Montgomery and Campbell kept taking shots on the Tugun goal. At the 61 minute mark Ruhl sent a free kick across field to Campbell manoeuvring in the goal area. He took on the keeper and tapped a high ball through his arms to score his 2nd goal. 5-1.

Tugun were in tatters and a few minutes later Campbell made a beautiful deceptive turn to control a ball to ex Byron Reserves keeper Ryan Gray. He signalled his return from Brunswick Valley FC as a talented field player with a deft shot on goal to score the 6th Rams goal.

Although Tugun were seriously outclassed, the Rams kept entertaining the crowd with their beautiful ball skills. With fifteen minutes to go Ruhl shot a diagonal pass to Campbell on the right of goal, the Tugun defence forced him to the back line however he somehow managed to release an acute angle shot behind the keeper and score his second hat trick in 3 games. It left the despondent Tugun players shaking their heads with a final score line of 7-1. Earlier in the day the reserves team were unlucky going down to Tugun 3-2.

With the Rams top squad scoring 18 goals in the last 3 outings and only conceding 2, it has given them some real confidence. However the Rams start their 2011 premier League campaign in earnest this Friday night and no doubt will be thoroughly tested against a tough Italo Stars outfit at Barrow lane in the first round of the FFNC Anzac Cup.

Rick Knight